Not blessed with a speedy metabolism? No problem, there are several measures you can take to improve it. Regular physical activity and small, frequent meals throughout the day are excellent ways to speed up your metabolism. However, the foods that you put into your body also play a huge role. Today we are sharing five tips to kick up your metabolic rate and help you burn fat while you eat!
Diet Changes for a Speedy Metabolism:
- Drink More Water: Your body needs water to process calories. If you begin to feel dehydrated, your metabolism can actually slow down. Aim to drink one glass of water before every meal or snack.
- Spice it Up: Spicy foods contain a natural chemical that can help jumpstart your metabolism and are also believed to help stop cravings. Try cooking your meals with a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili.
- Choose Whole Grain over Processed: Whole grains are rich in fiber and take more effort to break down than processed grains. More work from your body means more fat is being burned. Opt for whole grain foods such as brown rice and oatmeal.
- Complement Meals with Green Tea: Green tea is rich in polyphenol, a chemical that helps intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body burns calories. Drinking green tea with a meal can help speed up the fat burning process.
- Increase Protein Intake: Similar to whole grains, your body has to work hard to digest proteins (more so than it does with fats or carbohydrates). Include lean proteins such as white meat chicken, turkey, tofu, eggs or beans in every meal throughout the day to help burn calories while you eat. If you are increasing your protein intake significantly, be sure to increase your water intake as well.